Home Top Ad

How To Sew A Zipper. Zipper Cover Tutorial

How To Sew A Zipper

I’m glad so many of y’all are enjoying my Dotty Pouch Tutorial! I’ve gotten a few requests from my pouch students for a tutorial on how to put zipper covers on that pouch.

Here’s how I do it! You will want to do this just before Step 5: Attaching the Zipper if you’re making the Dotty Pouches. Cut two pieces that are approximately 1 1/2 x 3″.

Fold one in half so it measures approximately 1 1/2 x 1 1/2″. Place it on the zipper with the open edges on the two sides and next to the metal end. The folded edge should be toward the majority of the zipper.

How To Sew A Zipper

Topstitch along the folded edge. I usually use my Bernina #10 foot with the needle moved over two notches. Here I just used my 1/4″ foot.

How To Sew A Zipper

OPEN THE ZIPPER! Lay the zipper along the top edge of your pouch. Fold the second piece as you did earlier. Place it on the zipper so that the folded edge is directed toward the other zipper cover. Place it so that the open edge is flush with the edge of the pouch.

How To Sew A Zipper

Pin the piece in place. Make sure to carefully align the zipper teeth.

How To Sew A Zipper

Trim the covers to be flush with the zipper.

Attach the zipper as usual.

How To Sew A Zipper

And you should have this!

I made myself a little pouch for my hand embroidery stuff. 

How To Sew A Zipper

Happy Pouch making!

 

Here Full Tutorial Dotty Pouch


How To Sew A Zipper

No comments